Area 4 Enemies


Made up some new bad guys for area 4. So far I've leaned on the corgi game kit for most of the AI behaviors, but for this area I've wanted to start learning how to make more complicated actions.

First guy is the Enlarged Floating Brain, who will float around until it spots the player. It will them move over and fire a light ray at the player. Light damages the player, probably because it's really hot or something.


Also got this phage dude, can get blown up on one hit, but if it latches onto your head, regular laser blasts won't knock it off. Kind of a way to remind the player they have alternate ways to attack enemies.


Then there's RoboRobe. He phases in and out moving around to random locations and firing a homing orb at the player.

All these baddies are a step up in complexity for me. They use raycasts to detect the player and then run an "attacking mode." Next step will be making certain behaviors that are triggered by specific player actions. A dodge when shot at, or a secondary firing mode if the player exploits a weakness. Real Skynet kinda stuff right here.

I have also added a run-faster ability. My plan is to put it somewhere near the 75% point through the game, so as to ease the burden of backtracking. When playing metroidvanias, it's hard for me to even articulate what motivates me to "backtrack item search for 100%" and when I feel like it's more trouble than it'd be worth. I suppose the two main factors would be how fun it is to move through the world, and how interesting the remaining hidden items could be. I have a few ways to entice the player, like let them see an item icon that they cannot get to yet, or just make it so there are optional items that grant unique abilities instead of just another max health increase. This run faster ability would be optional and would hopefully help the player feel like zipping back through previous areas to see what new rooms they can get to.

Comments